A good beginning is sometimes halfway to your success. So, you need to make it really good and captivating. We know that it is not easy sometimes and can make you even stuck for a long time. But, here is useful info on how to start writing an essay. This info can make your drafting much easier. So, let’s start.
How to Begin an Essay: a Bit about Procrastination and Opening Sentence
The first thing we want to tell you is that you should tackle procrastination if you experience such. Even if you don’t know how to start an essay, you should not set it aside for a long time. Allow yourself to apply your imagination and brainstorm ideas without taking any notice of whether they are dull or not. You will have a chance to edit and correct such later. The freewriting technique may help you with elaborating ideas for your writing and reflecting on such. After some time, you may notice that you generate more and more good ideas and not only for the beginning of your essay. Also, outline your paper before writing it.
Another thing we want to tell you about how to start an essay is that your opening sentence matters a lot. Here your future reviewers will be maximally focused, so do your best to make them interested. You can make a hook from your opening sentence. In most cases, your opening sentence should be concise and provide your reviewer’s valuable info on matters you are going to tell in this essay.
How to Start an Essay: about Not so Obvious Things
There are many good ways to start an essay. But don’t miss one important thing. You should know your topic well and research it thoroughly before starting your writing, including creating your introduction. You may wonder why this is important. It is very important because you need to show from the first lines that you are a person who knows this topic well. This is how you can make your readers interested in reading your essay and remaining focused on that. Such pieces of writing always induce me to pay more attention to them. Your introduction should be one of such kind and contain a good thesis statement.
After you have crafted your essay, check whether its introduction paragraph is coherent with the remaining part of your content. This is important because your reviewers will notice that. They may be interested in reading the first lines. This interest may be decreased tremendously if reviewers see that the main part of your essay is not related appropriately to its beginning. This may indicate some failure in organizing your content. So, make sure there is one logical line between your introduction and the remaining part of your essay. The entire text should be flowing.
Also, we suggest you check each word in your introduction, its spelling, and grammar. You should not distract your readers from the remaining part of your text because of an occasional error.
Concrete Examples of How to Start an Essay
We know that asking you to apply imagination may be far from enough when you start thinking about the beginning of your essay. So, we have prepared for you examples of how to start an essay. Sure, these strategies will help you in creating your amazing introduction. Here are the approaches we suggest to you:
- Indicate a statement – it may be informative, controversial, or other. If your topic requires the development of concrete content, this may be the right approach for that. It will show from the first lines that you intended to expand your topic precisely.
- Ask a question – this is a good way to open discussions or make your readers interested in further reading. If they see a question, it can be very interesting to find out the answer somewhere in your text. Make sure you form this question to the point. It should be meaningful. Try to think here from your future readers’ perspective. What can make them interested in reading your essay?
- Indicate some interesting facts about your topic. If you have some information that appears interesting or even astonishing, we suggest you include such for sure. You should only think about the most appropriate manner of its presentation. But, in general, such info can make your readers more interested in reading your essay.
- Write about your recent discovery on the subject – it is also a good idea to share with your consideration on the subject. This personalized and sincere approach may guarantee the interest of your reviewers. Again, try to think from the readers’ perspective about those things that can make them interested. For instance, this may be your judgments about the relation of two matters that were previously not considered related. This induces you to read more about how you have managed to come to this conclusion.
- Shortly cover the primary setting of your essay – your task here is to create a kind of intrigue about your essay. Write a little bit about your essay to encourage subsequent reading.
- Describe a certain dramatic incident – if you have such and think it is appropriate to write about such, we encourage you to do this. Frequently, incidents are related to unusual twists, life lessons, and other interesting things. So, you should only pick the most appropriate tone of your writing.
- Emphasize the delay in your narration – don’t place valuable information at once but delay presenting such a little bit. Of course, in this case, you should be balanced and don’t make your readers wait too long.
- Indicate the historical perspective – this is a good approach to connect and interrelate certain events from the past with those that are happening now, and you will tell about such. This approach appears to be very effective when communicating certain info about important life or historical lessons.
- Briefly describe a process step-by-step if the subject of your essay is related to it. You should provide an overview of this process to make your readers interested in finding out how it works more precisely.
- Share a secret – this is a perfect approach for making your readers interested. If you have certain information that may be unfamiliar to your readers, surely, share this secret with them.
- Make a contrast between the imagined and real things – you should compare such to reveal discrepancies and pass your next content. For instance, you may speak on how expectations differ from reality. This may be a good approach for indicating later the reasons why this happens.
Last Words about How to Start an Essay
It is important to start essay writing well. A good start frequently determines how much your reviewers will be interested in reading the overall essay. But, before that, you should research your topic well and make sure you understand it comprehensively. This is important because it detects from the first lines that you know your topic and can present good info. And this feeling frequently motivates people to continue reading.
The freewriting technique will help you elaborate on ideas for your introduction and all other content. We suggest you apply it to tackle procrastination about not knowing how to start. It will help you greatly to develop ideas freely, and the best solution will surely come to you while looking at all reflections you have generated.
Also, it is important to think about a good introductory sentence. Usually, exactly it will determine the level of interest of reviewers. In most cases, it should be short and concise. You can make a hook of it or make it preceding to this hook for making a transition or contrast.
For the introduction itself, you may apply various techniques: indicate quotes, questions, contrasts, sharing a secret, describing a process, making a delay, etc. The final solution, in this case, depends on your purpose of writing and content. But, if you experience difficulties, you may always refer here again for help.